Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hotels has been recently redesigned to uncover a chic new property on the west coast of Barbados; I had the pleasure of visiting it recently and what an amazing resort. I loved how bright and airy it was, with an open plan feel, no banging doors, just exposed and natural. As I wondered through the resort, familiarising myself with my home for the next week, the thing that struck me the most was the attention to detail, furnishings that had taken inspiration from natural objects, very eco-chic and very well executed. The result, a lovely bright hotel.
- The hotel is committed to mind, body and soul so don’t be surprised if you see Yoga or Pilates out on the terrace (I had my very own yoga mat in the room).
- For more active individuals, the first floor features an amazing gym with state of the art equipment and great air con!
- Water sports are included with tuition for those that need it. We did jet skiing and tubing which was pretty hair-raising, but the team looked after us.
- Don’t overheat, let the pool and beach ambassadors present you with ice cold flannels, fresh fruit ice-pops and of course as much rum punch as you can handle.
- Switch between Mediterranean and Asian fusion at the two main restaurants, both serving mouth-watering a la carte dishes; I am still dreaming of the Thai soup that I had at Shiso.
- Wi-Fi is included so there is no limit to the amount of smug ‘wish you were here’ shots that you can post.
- The hotel hosts lots of mini markets throughout the week where you can purchase your own piece of Bajan memorabilia; we had art, crafts, jewellery, clothing and bags to choose from whilst we were there, I won’t tell you how much I spent!
- The resort has been awarded the Green Globe Certificate for sustainable tourism highlighting their commitment to making positive contributions to people and the planet.
- Remember to book in for your evening meal at breakfast and if you are heading out, let the hotel know so that they know exactly how many to cater for.
- Use the complimentary water taxi to visit select sister properties along the west coast, we had lunch at Crystal Cove by Elegant washed down with a drink at their Cave Bar.
- If you need some time out of the sun, get involved with one of the workshops on offer: wine pairing, rum tasting, mixology & cooking.
- Use the excursion desk to arrange any trips, with a wealth of knowledge about their island they have something to suit everyone; we booked a catamaran trip and went off in search of the sea turtles.
- Upgrade your room to receive extra spa treatments, book in advance to avoid disappointment.
- Head to Kyma for your daily caffeine injection, they offer speciality coffees & teas, sandwiches and my favourite, the locally made coconut ice cream, heavenly!
- For total relaxation, head across the road to the Serenity section of the hotel where you will find the adults only pool and even better, the spa, bliss!
- Looking to try some local delicacies? Look out for flying fish, cou-cou (a bit like polenta) and conkies (vegetables steamed in banana leaves).
- Head to the sundeck pre-dinner to get a great view of the sunset whilst sipping on a cocktail (mine was a Mojito with lots of rum)!
In the Caribbean they have a saying, “West is Best” and nowhere does it better than the Platinum coast of Barbados: calm water, amazing beaches, magical sunsets. Discover true Bajan hospitality for yourself at Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hotels, click the button below to find out more, or leave a comment below.
Discover Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hotels from £1,417pp